Field Trips for 5th and 6th Graders
Plan a Field Trip
The Space Center can handle 2 groups/classes each day for a total of 80 students. While one group is in the simulators the other participates in a planetarium and science presentation.
- 2 Simulators: 15-25 students $140 / 30-50 students $280 (2 Groups)
- 3 Simulators: 22-32 students $160 / 44-64 students $320 (2 Groups)
- 4 Simulators: 27-40 students $200 / 54-80 students $400 (2 Groups)
Please plan for possible growth in class sizes. If projected class sizes put you around 80 students you might need to attend on multiple days. Plan carefully as spots are limited.
Due to uncertain construction timelines we are unable to schedule field trips in April and May of 2020 until closer to January. Click to be added to a waitlist to be notified when those openings are available.
TEACHERS – Field Trip Preparations
- ALL PARTICIPATING TEACHERS review the materials below.
- SCHEDULE A BUS at least 2 weeks in advance. Arrive at center 9:30 and leave at 1:30. Alpine School District Bus Request
- ORDER LUNCHES for students. All lunches should be collected in large boxes before arrival.
- SELECT MISSION & PRESENTATION. Not sure which to choose? Check out our Mission Overviews.
- ASSIGN STUDENTS TO POSITIONS in the simulators.
- PRINT OUT BOARDING PASS for each student.
- WATCH & DISCUSS MISSION BRIEFING with your class. Review mission objectives and make connections to content covered in your class. Classes that take time to discuss the mission perform substantially better than those that don’t.
- COMPLETE REQUIRED LESSON MATERIALS prior to attendance (Cold Hearted requires additional lesson before attending.) Materials are located in the Teacher Resources Folder.
Suggestions for Success
- Check out our additional TEACHER RESOURCES and lessons. As an example we have created an Officer’s Log activity that has briefing resources and career exploration activities that students can complete at home.
- VERIFY CORRECT DIRECTIONS TO OUR SCHOOL. 95 North 400 East, P.G. Many bus drivers are familiar with our location, but be assertive that YOU know the way so you don’t lose valuable time.
- AMBASSADOR LETTERS – These documents can be printed and given to the Ambassador or Captain of each ship before attending. These documents provide more of the background story that will help them to perform their position.
- REVIEW APPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR & EXPECTATIONS before leaving your school.
- BOARDING PASSES READY & LUNCHES IN BIG BOXES, not individually held by students or in backpacks. Some teachers pass out the Alpha group’s Boarding Pass a few minutes before the bus unloads.
- UNPLANNED ABSENT STUDENTS – You can rearrange positions, and as a general rule the positions at the bottom of the Magellan list are easiest to do without. Keep the smaller ships filled.
- HAVE STUDENTS USE RESTROOMS and wash their hands before lining up to board the bus. We will still take a break when you arrive, but it will go faster if most have already gone.
We’ve prepared several engaging labs, centered in the State CORE, which are connected to the ULTIMA MYSTERY #1 lesson that we have been doing this year at the Space Center. If your class has not come on a field trip this year, we have included MYSTERY #1. For your convenience, the resources are available in the link above. Simply download the lesson, make copies for your class, and have fun flying into space!
Frequently Asked Questions
The USS Odyssey has desks that are designed to accommodate a wheelchair.
Which positions should I assign ELL students, and those with learning disabilities or other challenges?
The Magellan is best suited to help in those situation as it has extra staff. Look for the positions that have two people performing them such as Communications, Security, or Damage Control. That way they can be paired with another student that can assist.
Reservations can initially be made without payment. Payments for field trips will be processed in September for those scheduled in Aug-Dec and then in December for those attending Jan-June. Please have your billing information up to date in our system by that time so that it can be processed. Inform your secretaries and pass on all receipts promptly.
Each group (Alpha/Bravo) needs to have a teacher in charge and with the group at all times. Additional adults can attend with 1 per registered simulator. So if your reservation is for 2 Groups with 3 simulators each that means 2 teachers and 4 other adults could accompany. These adults should be instructed to help maintain appropriate behavior.