Welcome Volunteers of the Christa McAuliffe Space Education Center!
On this page you will find helpful information related to being a volunteer at the Space Center.
Thank you for your service!
How Do I Volunteer?
- Must have started 7th grade.
- Review “How Do I Become a Volunteer & Parent Letter” with Parent or Guardian.
- Review “Code of Conduct” with Parent or Guardian.
- Fill out Application with Parent or Guardian.
- Once accepted there is a$20 fee for your shirt & administrative expenses.
- Promptly respond to emails and thorough in completing the application process. We look for candidates that know how to follow through with assignments.
- Enjoyment – Many long lasting memories in a great and unique work environment.
- All volunteers get reduced rates on missions.
- Small gratuity. Blue Shirt Volunteers receive additional gratuity for flights worked.
- You get valuable work experience by being a part of our educational organization.
- Path to employment. Generally we hire the best of our volunteers when there are openings.
Many of our staff started out as volunteers just like you and most have many years of experience. With that experience they know what it takes to make our missions a success, and so you should follow the directions they give you while learning as much as possible when around them. If a staff member asks you to do something that you aren’t comfortable with, let them know. If you still feel uncomfortable with the situation please inform Mr. Porter. If you work hard to develop the skills used at the Space Center, this opens up opportunities to join our staff.
Mr. Porter’s Volunteer Beginnings:
I started volunteering back in 1998. My first assignment was doing “Security Training” in the hallways and gym for Overnighters. As the years went on I was put into one of my favorite positions as the Odyssey Doctor and later was over Voyager Engineering. Eventually I became a flight director for the original Galileo and later the Odyssey. I came back to the Space Center in June of 2014 to take over as the Director. In all of these different roles I have loved the joy I get from interacting with the kids and challenging them in various situations. I have made many friends and memories through volunteering and hope you will too.